If you’ve been wondering how to apply and renew your Ghanaian passport online, you’re at the right place. The Ghanaian passport has a validity period of 10 years. The online passport application was introduced to ease the mode of the application while ensuring maximum security for applicants.
However, some Ghanaians are sceptical about the whole online application process. But, in this guide, I will show you how to apply for Ghana passport online in 2021 without having to go to the bank to buy a pin for the form. Not only that, but the Ghana passport online application is also integrated with Mobile Payment methods.
Ghana Passport Application Process 2022
A fast-track application process known as the Premium Passport Processing Centre at the Accra Digital Centre (Contact: +233303978399 for directions) has been commissioned by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
What is a Passport?
A passport is an official document issued by a government, certifying the holder’s identity and citizenship and entitling them to travel under its protection to and from foreign countries. Without a passport, it is almost impossible to travel between Countries and or Jurisdictions.
Passports are small booklets that typically contain the bearer’s name, place of birth, date of birth, the date of issue, date of expiry, passport number, photo, and signature.
How to Apply for Ghana Passport
Basically, they are two methods of Ghana passport application. We have an online and offline method. Prior to the introduction of the Ghana passport application online, the process was 100 per cent offline.
The offline Ghana passport application was tedious and the requirements were not easy to understand. Not only that, but the process also leads to queues at the passport application centres.
However, the old method is not totally obsolete, it is also in use alongside the online application method. This is to enable applicants who are not comfortable with the new system to go through the old one. It is not yet certain when the old system will be totally abolished.
It is worthy of note that the new Ghana passport application process is not wholly online. After completing the online part of the application, you would book an appointment with the application centre in Accra to complete the process.
How to Apply for a Ghanaian Passport Online
It is simple to apply. You can kick-start the process on the Ministry of Information Website by visiting: https://passport.mfa.gov.gh
Types of Ghanaian Passport Application and their Prices
There are two types of Application. The first one is the Expedited Application aka “Express” and the other one is the Standard application that takes a longer time to process. Each of these Applications has a 32 booklet page or a 48 booklet page.
Here is how much it costs to get a passport in Ghana:
|Application Type||Booklet Pages||Price (GHS)|
New Prices by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs are effective 1st February 2020.
Where can I pay to Apply for Ghana Passport Online?
There are a lot of options when it comes to paying for the form. You can use the MTN Mobile Money, Tigo Cash or Vodafone Cash. Find the partner banks too and their mode of payment.
|Bank||Available Purchase Channels|
|EcoBank Ghana||Branches nationwide, Airtel Money, VISA & MasterCard, MTN Mobile Money, Tigo Cash, Vodafone Cash.|
|GCB Bank||Branches nationwide, Vodafone Cash.|
|Zenith Bank Ghana||Branches nationwide, Airtel Money, MTN Mobile Money, Tigo Cash, Vodafone Cash, VISA & MasterCard.|
How to Pay for Ghana Passport Online using Mobile Money
If you would want to use Mobile Money to pay for the Passport online:
- Register a new account on the portal by visiting: https://passport.mfa.gov.gh
- Click on Applications
- Click New Application
- When Payment comes, choose EcoBank, GCB Bank or Zenith Bank
- After that, choose MTN Mobile Money or your preferred network
- Enter your number and confirm the payment via your phone
- The Portal will now allow you to continue the application process
Ghana Passport Application Requirements
First Time Applicants
- Birth Certificate (Proof of Ghanaian citizenship).
- Documents to support Identity such as Driver’s Licence, National ID card
- Proof of Profession (An introductory letter from the applicant’s employer that is if the applicant is currently employed or a work ID card that bears the applicant’s name, organisation’s name and position. A student ID if the applicant is currently in school. Homemakers/housewives and applicants that are unemployed and those in the non-formal sector of employment like mechanics, hairdressers seamstresses, traders etc. do not need proof. Registered Business Owners and self-employed applicants must produce their business registration certificate as proof)
Renewing Applicants (Biometric)
- First page and bio-data page with picture and information page
- Valid Visa if the applicant has any in Old Passport
- Last page
- Proof of Profession if changed
Black Book Passports Renewal
- First page (Coat of Arms and Director’s signature)
- Biodata page with picture and information
- Valid Visa if applicant has any in Old Passport
- Profession page
- Proof of Profession if changed
- Police Report
- Proof of Identity
- Birth Certificate
- Old damaged passport
Change of Name
- Marriage/Divorce Certificate
Applicants Below 18
- Birth certificate
- Parents or Guardians ID
Information Worth Mentioning
If you have all the correct documentation that you are supposed to have ready and you upload your information on the online passport application and you have paid your processing fees and there is nothing wrong with your supporting documentation, it is expected that you get your new passport in 10 to 30 days.
Also, remember online applications are processed at the Accra PAC only.
Sample Ghana Passport Online Application Form
You can download a sample “filled” Ghana Passport (Online Application) to know which information you will need.